Thursday, July 14, 2011

Homemade Ice Milk & Homemade Vanilla Extract


At a recent family gathering we introduced "raw vanilla goat ice milk". Everyone LOVED it... I loved it cuz it was so easy.
When I was little we made our own ice milk... the old fashioned way... crankin... and crankin... breakin' up ice and adding rock salt...cranking some more. I still have that old ice cream maker. We couldn't afford cream so we just used plain old milk. It's so light and delicious and I'm sure better for you.
None of us has the luxury of time to be crankin' anymore. And who keeps rock salt and cream on hand. Cusinart solved my problem (yes it's electric but it is worth it)... no rock salt, no ice.... the container stays in the freezer until you use it and in just 20 minutes you have ice cream or ice milk.
My goats give me the most delicious milk.... so I just use that but you could use regular milk from the store! Or half milk and half cream... you pick.
"Homemade Ice Cream"
4 1/2 cups milk (goat or cow) ... whole would be best if not using cream
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons homemade vanilla extract
And if you haven't started making your own vanilla extract... now's the time. I think that might be one of the secret ingredients in the ice cream. You won't believe how easy it all is.
"Homemade Vanilla Extract"
3 - 4 vanilla beans
1 cup brandy
Split the vanilla bean lengthwise... then cut up in 1/2 to 1' pieces. Cover with brandy or vodka. Put in a pretty bottle and shake daily. After two months it will be ready to use. You can add more vanilla bean if you like until the flavor suits you but this method works great for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Garden....

In the Garden....

Montana...

In From the Garden...

In From the Garden...