Friday, November 4, 2011

Home Sweet Home....


I remember praying for my own"home" when I was young... a place where I would finally belong.... where my children would belong... a place where they would always be loved, appreciated and respected. I wanted them and my grandchildren to know who they were, where they came from and understand why they became who they grew up to be.
While on a walk today I visited with a young couple from our neighborhood who touched my heart. They told me they had decided to decorate their home with blown up pictures of their lives together. She was also going to frame calendar pictures she loved. Inside my heart cried "yes" and I was reminded of this entry written months ago but had yet to post. I shared that I had my own treasured "calendar" bear pictures given to me by my grandmother that have always hung above our piano. Before I was born my grandfather cut them off a calendar and made frames for them... I shared what a treasure they were to me.
The idea of "investing in a house" never ever occured to me. I wanted a "home".... nothin' fancy....just a "home". Over the years it has become just that. It's plum worn out from raising our family... years of hosting Thanksgiving & Christmas week long events where sleeping bags lined the floors and kids slept exhausted from late night games and running a home business where customer's became my best friends.
Department store "pics" have no place here... our rooms are filled with family heirlooms, gifts from our children and special friends, treasures from places we've been, vintage yard & garage sell finds, and things of nature. Some day the hand peeled log beds and beautiful pieces of rustic furniture my husband has filled our home with will adorn our grandchildren's homes as my grandfather's bear "calendar" pictures adorn mine. The door frame in the kitchen marks the heights of each of our children on their birthdays. Scriptures I cross-stitched so many years ago hang framed on the walls reminding us that our lives are blessed because of Him.
When we bought our home 31 years ago my father-in-law wrote in a card he and my mother-in-law gave us"your new home is a living monument to you",  every day life here on our little homestead have made it just that.   It’s not about the stuff. It’s the journey and the memories… it takes a lifetime to make a home your… home sweet home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Garden....

In the Garden....

Montana...

In From the Garden...

In From the Garden...