Thursday, November 29, 2012

Horseradish from the Garden


Last spring one of our Wild at Heart Farmgirls... gave me a horseradish start for a gift.  I was intrigued but didn't have a clue how lucky I was about to become.   It grew into a beautiful plant and I loved the horseradish scent when my legs brushed by it in the garden.  After harvesting the plant last fall and my family promptly consuming every bit of it, we couldn't wait for this year's harvest.  I thought I'd share what little I now know.

Harvested Horseradish...                        
Horseradish loves water and sunshine although mine was planted in shade and still did very well.  Hopefully.. unlike me you'll plant it where it's easy to dig up.  Word of caution:  It is extremely invasive.  Every tiny "sprout" will turn into a plant so make sure when you harvest it you get most of it.  I am assuming the larger "fatter" roots were those I missed digging up last year and at first I was really excited but found them to be more "woody" when processed than the more slender roots but were still very very good. 

Scrub clean with a stiff brush.
Another word of caution: take
it outside... or wear goggles.
Your eyes will thank you. Peel
the roots and dig out any brown spots.  Cut into very small pieces...mine were too big and it was hard on my blender.  Grinding horseradish is like grinding... well... a tree.  Add an amount your blender can safely handle.  I used a Vita-Mix but a food processor or blender will work.  Grating gives it a wonderful consistency but because I am harvesting my crop rather than preparing a single root  I use the blender.

Add apple cider or white vinegar to almost cover the chopped root and process.   I added my other ingredients  while blending... it made it easier to blend.

  Optional Yummy Ingredients: I used a Tbsp. of sugar and 1/2 to a tsp. of salt and probably 1/2 to 3/4 cup mayo to each 3/4 full blender container.  Some use sour cream or a blend of both... others like just plain old horseradish....   It freezes great and you can can it too!    A great big thank you to Wild @ Heart Farmgirl  "Appalousa Gal"... for blessing me with my own horseradish plant.... who would have thought!  It has been a gift that keeps on giving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Garden....

In the Garden....

Montana...

In From the Garden...

In From the Garden...