Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day....


One of our Wild at Heart Farmgirls... Gyspy Fiddler ... is gittin' hitched today to a wonderful man so I wanted to help celebrate by making them a special farmgirl Valentine... you know... farmgirl style... making "do" with what you have.
I took a ring from a very old barrel we have... couldn't keep those rings on that old thing anymore... and bent it into a heart.  I drilled two holes for the arrow to go through.  For that I found an old rusty rod that came out of an old mattress woven with the coolest rusted spiraled wire.  We've had it hangin' around here forever just waitin' to do something with it.  Worked perfect.

 I keep a pile of old tin cans out back so they can rust in the weather... love to do all kinds of things with them.  I chose a small olive can size...cut the lids off both ends and flattened it on the ground with my boot.  

WEAR GLOVES for this next part!!!!  I cut it in half with snips about the length of a feather.   I cut four angled strips on each side for feathers.  The other half of the can became the arrow tip.  Bend each sharp side over slightly to make sure there are no sharp edges.  I actually hammered everything down real good to be sure.  I did NOT flatten between the feathers ..  I will warn them about those sharp parts although they really are not exposed.

To secure them to the shaft.... I hammered two small nail holes side by side into the tin at the top and bottom of the feathers and the arrow point.  I cut  small pieces of rusty wire about 2" long and bent them to look like fencing nails.  Poke them through the holes and bend to the shaft with needle nose pliers until they stay in place. 

I finished it off by adding some old dried love in a mist seed pods I keep in my greenhouse just because I love them. Soft pink looked so pretty on the rusted metal.  Didn't take long at all and turned out real sweet.Last but not least... I put my darlin's tools away... it is Valentine's Day you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Garden....

In the Garden....

Montana...

In From the Garden...

In From the Garden...