Friday, January 11, 2013

Simple AWESOME Granola Recipe....

I'm thrilled.... simplicity wins again.  When you cook from scratch it just plain 'ole takes time.... I don't have time.... so any TIME  I can cut TIME and still make awesome quality homemade nutritious preservative- free whole FOOD.... I'm thrilled!

I tweeked a recipe I found in 2012 Cooks Illustrated and whipped it up in half the time it took me to make the old one (you will find it down here somewhere on this blog) and it tasted awesome.  You can vary the type of nut and dried fruit, add coconut flakes (my favorite) and even a couple teaspoons of cinnamon if you like.

Simply Awesome Granola Recipe

5 cups thick rolled oats
1/3 cup real maple syrup
1/3 cup brown sugar
4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. real salt
1/2 cup vegie oil - olive or coconut
2 cups chopped almonds
2 cups dried fruit

Whisk syrup, sugar, vanilla & salt.  Whisk in oil.  Fold in almonds thoroughly.  I baked mine at 350 degrees in a large pan for 15 - 20 minutes stirring every 5 minutes or until your desired crunchiness.  Allow to cool and add dried fruit.

They flatten theirs out on a cookie sheet and cook it longer to make big crunchy chunks, so if that is the way you like it... have at it!  We like ours less crunchy and more like a cereal so we don't flatten it down. You pick!  I quadrulpe the recipe and keep it in two gallon jars cuz I don't have time to cook.... remember?

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Garden....

In the Garden....

Montana...

In From the Garden...

In From the Garden...